The past is always with us, they say. We are a combination of our experiences, our present feelings and our hopes for the future. However, sometimes that past can be like a heavy suitcase of old belongings we drag around, allowing it to colour our present experiences and desires. Past experience can be powerful in effect – often preventing us from moving on and living a happier, more fulfilled life.
Events in the past, sometimes even forgotten in conscious memory, can actually dictate how we feel and respond to events in the here and now. These subconscious shadows hang about us darkening current perceptions, and continually limiting our expectations of the future. Seemingly long-buried resentment and guilt can drive much of our behaviour and choices in present time, and both are learned responses from the past. Once established, these emotions can colour everything until we are looking at the world through a veil of old anger, remorse, fear or feelings of defeat, grief, inferiority – all of which can lead to a loss of self-esteem.
In level 1 sophrology teaches you to become aware of your body leading to improved sleep, concentration and memory.
Level 2 sophrology teaches you mind awareness so that you can visualise and create an enjoyable future.
Level 3 teaches sophrology teaches you how to build strong foundations from your memories and past experiences.
Level 4 teaches sophrology teaches you how to experience oneness – or to be in present time while aware of the past and the future. Once you have arrived here you will typically be very aware of who you are, what you would like to create in the world and have the confidence to your dreams happen.
The practice of Sophrology teaches you to live more in the present moment, and helps you to transform your relationship with your past and your future into something wonderful and fulfilling.
Sophrology as acceptance
Sophrology is about learning to cut through these old perceptions and see things as they really are.
- Accept your current circumstances are not someone else’s fault.
- Accept the faults and foibles of others, without ready-made assumptions.
- Accept and process your current feelings – gaining an understanding that you are allowed to own those feelings and change them as you wish.
- Accept that you can choose how to experience an event; you may not be able to change it, but you are responsible for how you respond.
- Accept that from any point you can stop, breathe, and change direction – leaving your old skin of doubt and disappointment behind.
Sophrology as dynamic meditation
Sophrology is both a quietening of the mind, and an activation of the body. A number of techniques come into play: breathing; body awareness; and visualisation. Much of an agitated mind is a result of allowing the past to linger in our thoughts: hurts, injustice, lost expectations, feelings of failure.
Sophrology works with the body by taking time to become aware of the physical sensations that are produced by our emotions. Sophrology works with the mind improving visualisation and manifestation. Clear, guided exercises are designed so that you may practice easily at home or the office.
- The ease of these exercises is that they are adaptable to all styles of living, levels of health, and time schedules. You can do these exercises anywhere without compromising your busy life..
- Sophrology’s simple step-by-step approach adapts to different needs and abilities so that everyone can become more aware and more conscious in daily life.
- By combining meditation, breathing and gentle relaxation exercises with visualisation.
Sophrology as exercise
Like all exercises, it takes time and practice to achieve your goals.
- Close your eyes, breathe in and hold your breath for a few seconds. Tense all the muscles in your body. Then exhale, release all the muscles, and allow tensions and to flow out of the body.
- As you practice the sophrology exercises you will find that life becomes easier and more enjoyable.
- Once you have become aware that each and every emotion is experienced through your physical body sensations you realised that it is you who has the ability to choose each of your emotions. Each and every moment of the day you have the choice to be happy, sad, anxious or grateful. Sophrology will teach you how to do this.
Sophrology: an old route to a new you
Currently of the most popular wellness trends in the world, Sophro-Ki® Sophrology currently one of the most popular translates to the “the study of consciousness in harmony”. It is essentially a holistic system, including physical and mental exercises, which promotes health, well-being, and a whole new you aware of yourself and of the world around you.
Founded in the 1960s by Alfonso Caycedo, a professor of Psychiatry and Neurology in Madrid, Sophro-Ki® Sophrology was first created to treat war veterans suffering from PTSD and depression. Combining techniques from Zen, yoga, meditation and hypnosis, the system allows participants to release and redirect challenging emotions. Positive effects include: more focus, enhanced sleep, more self-confidence and increased awareness of who you are and why you are here.
Olympic Athletes trained with sophrology have won over 400 medals.
In 2006, Dorna Revie, founded Energy Centre, the first school in the world to offer Sophrologist diploma courses in English. Sophrology Center Online, the newest of Dorna’s projects, has been established to meet the growing demand from around the world.
To find out more, please visit: www.sophrologycenteronline.com